Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dear 2007

Dear 2007,


You have been quite a year, and one that I will be happy to see go.  Why the animosity?  Simple, you took away too many of my family and friends.  I know it wasn't you, but it was under your watch.  You are a year, for the most part, that I want to forget.

You started in January.  My wife's grandfather passed away, then a friend of mine lost her unborn child.  February was when my mom passed away, followed in a week by the father of my childhood best friend and my Great Aunt.  

The next couple of months were pretty good.  You tossed me a bone or two with the trip to the Redwoods and the trip to the Bahamas, but then when I thought that things were going pretty good, Murphy (our 11 year old lab) got sick and we had to put her to sleep.

My weight increased, my depression increased, the house started to fall apart (foundation cracks), but the frustration and anxiety was alleviated  by the addition of Roxy (a 5 year old rescue lab). She was just what we needed. She's a little yellow lab that lives for snuggling.

I went to New Jersey for a training class, and I was told that I was the only one that failed it.  This after winning the top sales award with my company (my second) and after 15 years of successful sales.  Bottom line: I was judged by a training manager who was just hired and did not complete the class herself, and a manager who hates my manager. Could I have done better?  Sure...

I have been able to play golf A LOT more than I EVER have in MY LIFE.  That has been one of the best things about you're tenure.  

So, here it is. You're reign is nearly over and a couple more things have happened that hit me emotionally.  An old friend from my early work days died suddenly on the 16th. She was 8 days short of her 42nd birthday.  She left behind her husband, and two children (an 11 year old boy and an 8 year old girl).  Also on the 16th Dan Fogelberg passed away-a man whose music has influenced my life since the age of 14.  

Now it's the 20th of December.  I hesitate to write this as you have 11 more days to cause misery and mischief, but I'll take my chances.

Do me a favor.  Go away.

No comments: